How will the pandemic impact our children in the long-term?
By Carey Haley Wong and Katherine Meger Kelsey
Child Advocates and Kids’ Voice, both Indianapolis-based agencies serving abused and neglected children, have teamed up to identify how to best serve children during the pandemic. Understanding this isn’t an isolated issue, we reached out to several subject matter experts in a variety of fields including schools, courts, law enforcement, mental health professionals, kids themselves, social workers, pediatricians, lawyers, parents, and government officials, for their insights and ideas. More….
Please click on the picture to listen to an important message from our President/CEO Lindsay Scott.
Kids’ Voice has developed this page to help provide the most recent factual information as well as information about resources that may be helpful during this time. Please be sure check this page often as we are committed to updating information and adding new content as soon as it becomes available.
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you all posted with updates. You can visit http://marionhealth.org/homeslider/coronavirus-faqs/ for more information.
Here is a Frequently Asked Questions article about custody, parenting time, and the pandemic: FAQ About Custody, Parenting Time, and the Covid-19 Pandemic (updated April 7 2020)
For more information on emergency plans for your family, Parental Powers of Attorney, Standby Guardianship, and other information, go here.
Video Updates about the programs at Kids’ Voice and how we are operating during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Please click on the picture to listen to an important message from our Katie Kelsey, Director of the Children’s Law Center of Indiana .
Please click on the picture to listen to an important message from Emily Angel, Supervising Attorney for our Guardian Ad Litem Program.
Please click on the picture to listen to an important message from Claudia Needleman, Director of the Safe Child Parenting Time Program.
Here are links to community resources that also contain many links to other resources that will be helpful to our clients, attorneys, and other supporters as we work through this difficult time.
- Expanded Meal times for IPS Spring Break
- Indianapolis Bar Association – COVID-19 Resources for the Legal Community
- ACE Connections Roundup article – Education resources, including mental health, for kids, families during coronavirus pandemic
- Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence – COVID-19 Resources ICADV
- The ARC of Indiana Resource Page
- Family and Social Services Administration-FSSA-News Release 3/19/2020
- Dentons’ US COVID-19/Pandemic Client Special Situations Team-Small Business Disaster Loan Assistance
- US Small Business Administration-Disaster Loan Information and Assistance
- Indiana State Bar Association Updates
- Governor of Indiana Executive Orders
- Child Trends Article-Resources for Supporting Children’s Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Indiana Youth Institute-Weekly Updates
- United Way of Central Indiana Updates
- Autism Society COVID-19 Toolkit
- Here is a template for a Parental Power of Attorney, which is discussed above in the FAQ Article: Parental Power of Attorney (2020)
- Families First – List of 50 family activities that do not require screens
- National Association of Council for Children – Resources for Attorneys and Families
- Prevent Child Abuse America – Coronavirus Resources and Tips for Parents, Children, and Others
- The Center for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect
- About The Center for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Early Detection of Child Abuse and Neglect Training
- Predicting Child Abuse and Neglect
- Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline
- Indiana State Department of Health – COVID-19 Guidance for Pregnant and Postpartum Women
- Living resources page from MCCOY
- Children’s Bureau Region 10 – Family Activities Guide
- Skillastics – Large group physical activity resource
- Indianapolis Bar Association Updates and Resources
- FSSA Food Assistance Availability Map
- COVID-19 RESOURCE GUIDE: FOR HOOSIERS LOOKING FOR ASSISTANCE
- Resources about Access to Justice and Self Represented Litigants – from the AFCC Center for Excellence in Family Court Practice, Access to Family Court Services Task Force.
- Tax Updates – VonLehman CPA & Advisory Firm
- For information and resources about civil legal issues affected by COVID-19, see IndianaLegalHelp.org.
- Attorneys can help now, from home or anywhere, through Indiana Free Legal Answers.
- 100+ Things to Do when Kids Are Bored
- Indiana Judges and Lawyers Assistance Program: Ideas for you and your family to keep busy and stay positive.
- Indiana Supreme Court: In the Matter of Custody, Parenting Time, and Child Support During the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic.
- Updates from the Indiana Judiciary
- LUNA Language Services Resource Center on COVID-19: Indiana Updates, COVID-19 Resources
- COVID-19 Update for SNAP – Able Bodied Adults without Dependents NOW ELIGIBLE!
- COVID-19 Update for Emergency SNAP-COVID-19 & Extra Emergency SNAP Benefits: What You Need to Know
- Information about Child Support Services
- Marion County Clerk’s Office Announcement
- Knowledge Share: A free online tutoring service for K-12 students
- IndyBar – Virtual Ask a Lawyer
- Eviction/Foreclosure Resource Guide
- American Bar Association: Info on Special Education Services Required in the Time of COVID-19
- American Bar Association Free Legal Answers https://indiana.freelegalanswers.org
- Southern Indiana Pro Bono Referrals (SI-PBR) includes counties of: Crawford, Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Orange, Scott, and Washington Counties in Indiana.
- Connections — Aspire Warm Line
- Department of Education-Child Safety Tip Sheet
- DCS guidance for various programs and stakeholders regarding COVID-19
- IARCA Member Resource Directory of Services for Children and Family
- Indiana Youth Group Virtual Services
- PBS Book for Children on COVID-19
- Internet Safety Flyer
- Kids Need Essential Workers to Report Abuse During COVID-19 Crisis-Flyer
- How to Deal with Stress and Anxiety Flyer
Indiana Department of Education: COVID-19 Guidance and Resources
- Remote IEP Meetings
- Indiana Department of Education: FAQs for Parents and Guardians of Students of Disabilities
- American Bar Association: COPAA Q&A for Parents
- Indiana Department of Education: COVID-19 Impact on Schools Frequently Asked Questions
- Useful Mental Health Mobile Apps
- Indiana Disability Rights Newsletter
- FSSA: New website provides Hoosiers free expert mental health resources during COVID-19
- 6 Ways to Create the Perfect Homework Space
- Working from Home Tips to Help with Comfort and Efficiency
- Internet service providers – both cable and wireless companies – are offering temporary discounts for internet access for families living in Indianapolis. These discounted plans can provide internet service to support e-learning for students while school buildings are closed due to COVID-19.
- Assistance for homeowners. http://www.877gethope.org/
- Useful information for some GALs, children, and their parents. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wxlNZ56BCo&t=1s
- DWD: Unemployment for Employers FAQs
- Information for Grandparents and Multigenerational Families.
- COVID-19 Community Resources in English and Spanish
- Indiana COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program
- Rental Assistance Program and Program Press Release
- Eviction Prevention Information
- Childcare Answers https://earlylearningindiana.typeform.com/to/pZmKBN
- Catholic Accompaniment and Reflective Experience (CARE) Program
- Stimulus Payment Assistance
- Landlord and Tenant Settlement Conference Program
- Emergency Housing and Support Services for Hendricks County
- Rapid Re-employment Response –GET THE HELP YOU NEED TO FIND A JOB IN MARION COUNTY.
- If your child tests positive for COVID-19, you will get a call or text
with information about how to keep your child and others safe.
Please answer. It could protect someone else’s world. #AnswerTheCallIN. AnswerTheCall.in.gov
- Economic Impact Payment: Collecting Your Stimulus Check. Presented by Indiana Legal Services, Inc. and Low Income Taxpayer Clinics.